WHAT IS COPYRIGHT?*
Copyright is the exclusive legal right to produce, reproduce, publish or perform an original literary, artistic, dramatic or musical work.
The creator is usually the copyright owner.
Original work is automatically protected by copyright the moment you create it.
WHAT IS LICENSING?*
A license allows someone else to use a work for certain purposes and under certain conditions.
The copyright owner still retains ownership.
*SOURCE – Canadian Intellectual Property Office
REAL ESTATE LICENSING
• Images used for marketing ONE SPECIFIC PROPERTY
• Images NOT used to promote a business or brand/showcase work
• $100’s Investment for 25-30 images on average
PHOTOGRAPHER OWNS IMAGES
• Images used for marketing and/or adverting (incl. Social Media)
• Images used to promote a business or brand/showcase work
• Per image licensing (varies by photographer)
• $1,000’s to $10,000’s Investment (varies by photographer)
FREQUENTLY ASKED COPYRIGHT QUESTIONS
CAN MY STAGER USE THE PHOTOS?
NOT WITHOUT A COMMERCIAL LICENSE.
CAN I GIVE ANOTHER AGENT THE PHOTOS?
NO. THEY WILL NEED TO PURCHASE ANOTHER LICENSE.
CAN I ALTER THE PHOTOS I RECEIVED?
UNLESS IT’S A BASIC CROP, NO.
CAN I USE THE PHOTOS TO WIN FURTHER LISTINGS?
MAYBE. VARIES BY PHOTOGRAPHER. We DO allow this, but only for YOUR marketing — not for your Brokerage’s marketing.
If you make money from the use of professional photos, the Photographer must be compensated.
HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS?
We’d love to chat! Contact us today!